The Louisiana Chapter of the Association of College and Research Libraries proudly announces our first Poster Session competition for students. The event will take place on Friday, 22 October 2010, following directly after the LOUIS Users Conference (LUC) at 12p.m. in CEBA, also known as Patrick Taylor Hall. An award and prize for $100 will be given to the best overall poster session. A second award and prize for $75 will be given to the best presentation. Should enough entries be deemed worthy of recognition, at least one honorable mention will also be awarded.
- All students interested in creating a poster session that has a focus on academic and research libraries or on library and information science are welcome to participate. Collaborative entries are also welcome.
- Students intending on participating in the competition must email their intention to enter to Melissa Goldsmith via email: email@example.com. Messages of intent must be dated no later than 5 October 2010.
- Students must register to become student members of ACRL-LA (membership is $10, and lasts until 30 June 2011). Joining is easy at http://www.acrlla.org/join/.
- Entries must include both visual (poster) and aural (presentation) components. Students should prepare a 3 to 5 minute presentation to coincide with posters. They may need to repeat the presentation.
- Judging will take place for a half hour between 12 and 12:45 p.m. Feedback will be offered to all who enter the competition.
- Poster boards or laptops (on battery power supply) may be used. Tri-fold foam and cardboard display boards, as well as two single foam boards (l. no more than 48”; h. no more than 36”), are available at many stores.
- Meeting and set-up may begin as early as 11:15a.m. Upon arrival, check at the LUC registration desk at CEBA for further instructions.
- Please refer to the “Poster Session Pedagogy” for ideas about criteria at the bottom of the Events page: http://www.acrlla.org/events.
In appreciation of the participants’ hard work invested in their projects, ACRL-LA will provide lunch. Participants are also encouraged to attend the ACRL-LA workshop on CLOCKSS for free (see http://www.acrlla.org/events/postluc2010). The lunch and workshop will take place after the competition. Awards will be announced at the 1 p.m. ACRL-LA Business Meeting.
Here is a PDF of this announcement to share with others: